Navigation Bar

DRESSING FOR THE OCCASION+S



I'm guilty...

Ok I think every girl is.. but of what you ask? The "One-Time Wear". Yes, the wonderful and terrible One-Time Wear // O.T.W. // More often than not this beast is born from the invite of a one-time event. For example, a girlfriends wedding or a business holiday party or your big birthday. You know, events that you want to feel special for and to feel special you want to wear something special. So you go out and buy a lavish, navy blue snakeskin dress with kimono sleeves, high leg slit, and a deep cut v-neck and you slay that party.... then only to shove that dress in the back corner of your closet, never to be seen or heard from again; Because lets be honest, who wants to be seen wearing the same outfit over again to another one-time event. It's a vicious cycle.







Many a websites have been created to combat this creature, websites like Rent the Runway. The idea being; instead of purchase that dress you know you are only going to wear once for a ridiculous amount, you could instead rent that same dress for the night at a significantly lesser price tag! Brilliant, completely. This is a great option for some, especially if the event is extremely lux and you need something high end. But for me and my life..still at home because the idea of putting money towards something that will never be yours // a.k.a renting // just doesn't work for me. I want to be able to see where my money is and keep seeing it for as long as I want, you know? I want to own my money. Ok maybe that's just me, anyways.. Renting on a regular basis is not for me. Yet, this nasty beast of a problem is still there. So what do we do about it?




Well, lets go through the options: 

A. Buy this O.T.W and hope that you'll move and be surrounded by completely new people who have never seen this outfit, possibly Europe.. otherwise, and much more likely, let it hang in the closet amongst the rest of its fellow comrades collecting dust. 

                 Ehhh not loving that..

B. Rent the O.T.W and say to yourself, "Well, you got to wear it once at a much cheaper price, so technically you saved money...Even though you will never see that money again." 

                But really, though...

C. _______________

Option C I believe is the solution to this problem. It allows you to buy a beautiful outfit for a special event that you get to keep, and better yet that you get to re-wear! What?! But I thought you just said.. Ok I know what I said, who wants to wear an outfit to a one-time event that everyone has already seen, but this outfit won't be the same outfit, not exactly.  




Here is the key: SEPARATES!

Yes separates are the perfect solution to this problem because they are meant to be used more than once in many different ways. You can wear the two pieces together, as you bought them, or mix and match the top and bottom with other pieces you have in your closet already. And with each event you can always buy either a new top or bottom to go with these separates to freshen it up. It is practically fool-proof. Say goodbye to the O.T.W. and hello to endless possibilities!

I have put this into action with two events so far: My future sister-in-law's bridal shower and Thanksgiving. Two special events, four separate pieces.

For Thanksgiving I went comfy-classy and paired a ribbed high neck crop sweater in a soft grey with a pleated satin midi skirt in a metallic teal, finished off with a pair of grey suede heels. Comfort on top, class on bottom! It was the perfect combination for a day spent with family and friends.





For the bridal shower I went a bit more dressy with a floor length maxi skirt in a champagne
satin and a jeweled sheer top with a draped open back in a matching champagne. I did wear shoes but since we were on wet grass and my shoes were suede I tossed those puppies and went barefoot! // By the way I made the skirt...possible DIY? Let me know if you want to see a post // We also made the bride's flower crown! Can you tell I love a DIY?!







The great thing about both of these events is I was able to try the separates method in two different style scenarios, one more formal and the other a bit more lax, and in both circumstances the method worked flawlessly. Not to mention I have been able to wear these separates paired with other pieces on a more regular basis! Don't get me wrong, sometimes there is a place for the O.T.W and ain't nothing wrong with splurging on yourself from time to time, you are worth it! But if you are looking for options and want your hard-earned money to go farther, then separates are the One+s To Wear!





Haute Hippie Fly Away Rhinestone Sleeveless Silk Top (similar here and here)
Champagne Maxi Skirt (DIY)




Urban Outfitters Grey High Neck Crop Knit Sweater (similar here)
Sam Edelman Dixie Suede Pointy Toe Pump (similar here)


No comments:

Post a Comment